Who are we
For the Children, Inc. is an Austin-based nonprofit organization that provides basic school supplies to children that qualify for the Federal Free and Reduced Price Lunch Program. Our goal is to reach all elementary school children over the 10 school districts in Central Texas. Our board members serve a dual purpose of performing in-kind administrative duties and providing the administrative funds required to run the organization. Because of this, 100% of donated funds go towards school supply purchase.
In the summer of 1988, a small group of people, under the direction of Victor Ovalle of KTBC TV, formed a community action program called Teach The Children. Initially modeled after a similar program in San Antonio, the purpose was to provide basic school supplies to needy children with their first efforts focusing on first graders in the Austin Independent School District (AISD). That fall, the organization donated approximately 1,000 sacks of school supplies to 27 schools within the Austin Independent School District. Today, For the Children purchases school supplies in bulk, ensuring donates go even further.
For the Children provides school supplies to Texas public-school students based on need.
For the Children, a non-profit organization, will contribute to the education of public elementary school students in Travis, Williamson, and Hays counties by procuring and distributing basic school supplies. Campus allocation will be based on the number of students qualifying for federal free or reduced-cost lunch programs. For the Children will offer high quality service, provide school supplies in a timely fashion, and solicit input from key stakeholders to improve services.
- The school supplies will align with the needs of students and their respective schools.
- We will practice good stewardship of the money and resources donated to For the Children.
- 100% of donated funds will be used to purchase school supplies.
- Board members and friends of the board will cover administrative costs associated with the purchase and distribution of the school supplies.
- We will promote open communication among ourselves and between the board, sponsors, the public, district administrators, and campus principals.